Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Homeschooling Is A Little Like Having Another Baby...

For me, homeschooling is a little bit like having a new baby in the house.  There are all sorts of adjustments.  Routines that used to work have to be shifted to accommodate this new thing.  Everyone gets a little bit less one-on-one time because something else has taken that spot.  I stay up late at night thinking sometimes, wondering if I'm doing the right thing, or if I'm going to completely mess this one up.  I feel both completely awesome and utterly inept in the span of twenty minutes.
As with each baby addition, I look back fondly on how much time I had before.  It doesn't matter that just two months ago, I felt like I had no time whatsoever, that I was super busy, and that I was always behind on something.  Now I look back at that person and laugh.  I just added in 15-20 more hours of stuff each week!

Past me had it so easy.

I had that same mentality after each kid.  I notice this especially on Saturdays.  Saturdays have become my get-things-done days.  I do most of my cleaning, a lot of my food prep, and whatever else I can knock out in all those hours between waking up and going to bed.  (Lest you think I ignore my kids, they get plenty of extra books read to them, and extra time to play outside because they're not doing schoolwork).

We've adjusted pretty well.  Somehow, everything that truly needs to get done still happens.  While there's not a ton of time for extras right now, I am enjoying the things that I do get to do.  And I certainly feel accomplished when I prep six freezer meals (plus a few other things) in two hours.  Sort of like a few months after having a baby, when things start to settle into a new normal...

No comments:

Post a Comment