Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Polish Sausage Stew

Growing up, this was my "peanut butter sandwich" dinner.  Whenever my mom made this, I was allowed to have a peanut butter sandwich instead, because I could not stand it.  I'm not sure if this was a rule she instituted beforehand, or if I was just so stubborn about not eating it, but I loved the peanut butter sandwich rule.

My kids are young enough that I still make them eat everything once, but I have a feeling before too long, I'll let them pick one meal that is their "peanut butter sandwich" meal too.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 pound Polish or smoked sausage, cut into pieces
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 small head cabbage, chopped
  • 3-4 potatoes, chopped (I used baby reds, but russets work well too)
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • sprinkle of salt and pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar (optional)*
  • 1 tsp. caraway seeds (optional)
*I'm pretty sure the vinegar is part of what I disliked so much as a child, so I left that out.  Feel free to experiment with it though.  It does add a certain tang to the dish.

Directions:
Combine all ingredients in a large pot.  Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment