Search This Blog

Friday, October 31, 2014

Books I've Read: October 2014

I got on the really long hold list for three books at the library.  And of course, they all came in the same week.  I was able to finish two of the three, and I still have a couple weeks to finish the third, so I should get through them.  I was hoping for one at a time though.

Four by Veronica Roth.  This is the companion book to the Divergent trilogy, which I read early this year and really liked.  I enjoyed that this one gave a bit more depth to the character of Tobias, but I think I would have liked it more if I had read it right away after the other books rather than 8 months later.  Still, it was a quick easy read that brought back some of my favorite YA characters.

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.  I expected to like this book.  I wanted to like this book.  And for probably the first 2/3 or so, I did.  But the ending left me unsatisfied, and a little bit disturbed.  It wasn't so much of a conclusion as I had hoped (is that vague enough to be spoiler free?).  The writing was really good, and the plot was mostly fast-paced, which kept me wanting to find out what happened next.

I think part of my problem was that none of the main characters were particularly likeable.  I wasn't necessarily rooting for any of them.  But I still didn't like the ending.

I am also about 2/3 of the way through Say Goodbye to Survival Mode by Crystal Paine (of the blog Money Saving Mom), which I have on my Kindle.  It's a good read, and something I think I'll need a refresh on in about 6-8 months when I don't have a newborn and I'm not truly in survival mode.  So far it's been a good reminder of what my priorities are, and making sure to cut things out that aren't as important right now, even if it's hard.

Still to come, The Fault in Our Stars.  Hoping to read that one next week.

Book total for this month: 2 books read. Total this year: 23 books read. My goal for the year is 25, so I should be able to hit that with finishing these last two, if nothing else.  Yay reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment